Earth Day at Koppert
Every year on April 22, people around the world come together to celebrate Earth Day – a day dedicated to raising awareness about environmental issues and promoting sustainability. It's a time to reflect on the state of our planet and to take action to protect it for future generations.
At Koppert, we believe that caring for the earth is not just a responsibility, but a way of life. We are committed to promoting sustainable agriculture practices that protect the environment, support biodiversity, and contribute to the health and wellbeing of people and the planet.
Our Positive Impact
One of the key ways that we promote sustainability is through our biological solutions. We work with nature to develop solutions that support natural pest control, improve soil health, and enhance plant growth. Our positive impact on the environment and biodiversity is significant.
Our biological solutions help growers and farmers to reduce the environmental impact of horticultural and agricultural activities and enable them to produce healthy, high-quality food that supports food security and economic development.
Our Sustainability Journey
In addition, we also strive to minimise our own environmental footprint. We are continuously implementing initiatives to reduce our CO2 emissions, reduce waste, use renewable energy, and promote sustainable practices throughout our operations.
Our Actions Over The Past Year (2022) Include:
- A significant reduction of gas and electricity consumption at headquarters, which houses our largest production facility. In the last two years much of the reduction has also been driven by energy price hikes and warmer weather conditions.
- In 2022, we started purchasing solar energy for headquarters and production facilities in the Netherlands, leading to a reduction of 89% in CO2 emissions from electricity use.
- Three out of four cars added to the KBV and Koppert Netherlands transport fleet in 2022 were electric cars.
- Over 70% of the fuel used by the Dutch transportation fleet was bio-diesel HVO30.
- We replaced over 110.000 ISO boxes with eco-friendly coolers in our markets.
- Moreover, we switched from air shipping to road/boat transportation of 102 shipping containers.
- The post-pandemic era has highlighted how crucial it is to protect working environments. As a result, we placed a greater emphasis on the wellbeing of our employees. We introduced a Vitality Week and focused on the health and safety of our employees, as well as offering development opportunities to our workforce.
Earth Day is an important reminder that we all have a role to play in protecting our planet. At Koppert, we are committed to promoting sustainable agriculture practices, increasing our positive impact, and minimising our own environmental footprint. We encourage everyone to join us in taking action to create a more sustainable future for generations to come.